1. Pack It
1. PACK IT
***Be sure to use the different compartments and pockets to help distribute weight***
1. Heavier items closer to the back center of the backpack
2. Lighter items in the front of the backpack
3. Sharp items away from the back
4. Try to lighten the load so it is no more than 10% of your child’s weight; heavy backpacks can cause falls and spinal damage.
2. Put It On
2. PUT IT ON
Teach your child to pick up the backpack by bending and lifting in the knees instead of the waist to prevent back injury.
3. Adjust & Carry
3. ADJUST AND CARRY
*Always use both shoulder straps to prevent injury.
*Adjust the sternum strap.
*Secure the hip belt.
*The backpack should rest snugly against the back.
4. WATCH FOR WARNING SIGNS THAT THE BACKPACK MAY BE TOO HEAVY, including:
1. Difficulty when putting on or taking off the backpack
2. Pain when wearing the backpack
3. Tingling or numbness in the arms or legs
4. Red strap marks over the anterior part of the shoulders
5. Any change in side-to-side posture while wearing the backpack
Pro-Tip- Adjust the shoulder and waist straps so that the pack fits comfortably. To ensure a proper fit, make sure the backpack does not extend past your child’s shoulders, or below the top of the hip bones.
*****Backpack Awareness Day is Wednesday, September 26, 2018!****